- Security and fraud
How you shop and bank online is changing
Your contact details need to be up to date
We use two-factor authentication to verify it's you when you use online banking (making a payment to someone new for example) or make purchases with your card online. It's the banking industry's way of double-checking it's really you.
To help protect you against fraud, we are strengthening how we use two-factor authentication. Because of this, how you use online banking and complete purchases online will change. This is also supported by regulatory changes taking place called Strong Customer Authentication (SCA).
The changes to how you bank online will come into effect in August this year and we will notify you just before this happens.
The changes to how you make card purchases online will come a little later.
So you can continue to use online banking and make purchases with your card online, your contact details need to be up-to-date.
How it affects you
When you use online banking
We are replacing card readers with a different way of verifying yourself. We're also increasing security when you view statements, transactions and scheduled payments and sometimes when you log in.
Don't worry though, you won't need to change your existing log in details.
When you use your card online
To complete your purchase, you'll verify yourself in a different way and probably more often.
This is so we know it's really you making the payment.
How you can verify it's you
When using online banking, you will receive a verification code by text message or email
We’ll send you a verification code to the UK mobile number or email address you have registered with us when you:
- Make new payments
- View statements & transactions
- Create and manage standing orders
- View or cancel Direct Debits
- Update your contact details
- Reset your online banking password and/or 6-digit security code
You’ll need to enter your code along with your password and 6-digit security code to confirm it’s you. It's important that you never tell anyone your verification code.
We’ll also occasionally send you a verification code when you log in. This is to help further protect you from fraud.
When shopping with your card online you will receive a verification code by text message and be asked for your memorable name, which you currently use today when making online card purchases
We will send a verification code to the UK mobile number you have registered with us. You’ll use your code and your memorable name when shopping online to confirm it’s you.
The changes won’t be happening just yet. We will let you know nearer the time how this will impact you if you don't have a mobile phone. Until we notify you, you can use your card to make purchases online as you do today.
How you can check/update your details
Are you updating your mobile number?
If you are using our mobile app or online banking to update your mobile phone number, please allow one Business Day for your number to be updated. We will send you an email to confirm once the changes have been made.
Using our mobile app
Download our mobile app and select "My settings and details".
Use your fingerprint, Face ID or a passnumber to update your contact details.
In online banking
Visit 'Profile'. You'll still need a card reader and your debit card for now to update your contact details. If you're not registered for online banking register here.
Call us on +44(0)3457 212 212
Do you have a joint account?
If you have a joint account, you will both need to check and update your personal contact details.
Do you have an additional credit card holder?
An additional credit card holder will need to verify themselves by text message when making online card purchases. With their permission, we need you to provide their UK mobile phone number.
As the main card holder, you can:
1) Log in to online banking and talk to us via Live Chat or send a secure message
2) Call us on 0345 600 6000. Lines are open 8am to 8pm, 7 days a week. Call charges apply.
Do you have a question?
How we keep your banking secure
We're committed to making your banking experience as safe and secure as possible.
- We use advanced encryption technology to stop unauthorised users from reading secure information
- We have a range of fraud detection systems and regularly monitor your accounts for suspicious activity
- Your card reader provides you with an additional layer of protection when you bank online that helps us to protect your accounts
- We will never call you out of the blue and ask you for your security information to assist you with registration for Online or Mobile banking
- Never share your Pin, Card Reader or verification codes with anyone. We will never contact you and ask you for these
- Never allow anyone to access your device remotely
- Our fraud guarantee helps you recover money taken in fraudulent activity in the unlikely event you fall victim to fraud
Need more help?
For more information on fraud and how to prevent it, click below.Get help and info
Calls to 0800 and 0808 numbers are free from landlines and mobiles. Calls to 03 numbers cost the same as calls to numbers starting with 01 and 02. Calls to 0845 and 0870 numbers cost 3p per minute, plus your phone company's access charge. Calls to 0844 and 0843 numbers cost 7p per minute, plus your phone company’s access charge.
Calls may be monitored or recorded for security and training purposes.